Balance all the sweet treats over Easter with a hearty and warming homemade soup! One of our favourites is our Leek, Potato and Bacon Soup, which is perfect for the whole family. This recipe makes 8 portions and lasts a few days in the fridge or can be frozen, making it a great midweek dinner option.
- 75g butter
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1kg leeks, sliced
- 4 roasted garlic cloves
- 1kg potato, finely sliced
- 1 sprig of thyme (leaves only)
- 1 1/4 litres of chicken stock
- 1/2 cup of spinach
- 1/4 cup milk (250ml)
- 1/4 cup cream (250ml)
- 90g cooked bacon finely diced
- Salt & pepper to seaso
- In a large pot melt butter and add olive oil then add in your leeks and cook until soft about 3-5min.
- Add in the roasted garlic and potato and cook at low heat for 3-5min, add thyme leaves and stock bring to boil.
- Continue cooking on medium heat until potato is cooked approx15 min.
- Remove pot from heat, add the spinach and blend while adding the milk and cream until soup is smooth.
- Once blended stir in the bacon and season to taste.
We recommend garnishing the soup with crunchy croutons, a drizzle of cream, fresh parsley and bacon bits.
How to make roasted garlic
Roasting the garlic before adding to the soup intensifies the flavour to add a richness to your soups. Best of all it is so easy and can also be used in other recipes. All you need is the garlic cloves and a generous drizzle of olive oil, salt and some aluminium foil. We recommend doing a few batches you can then store in the fridge for as and when needed.
- Place garlic cloves in the middle of a large portion of aluminium foil.
- Drizzle olive oil over the garlic and sprinkle a little salt. Close the aluminium foil to create a small ball.
- Preheat the oven to 175c. Place the aluminium foil wrapped garlic cloves on a baking sheet. Roast the garlic in the oven for about 50-60 minutes.
You can then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 10 days.