Looking for the perfect Easter? There's no better treat than hot cross buns.
Follow our recipe below. This recipe will make 12 hot cross buns.
- 300ml whole milk
- 500g plain white flour
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 7g fast-action yeast
- 50g butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 150g sultanas
- 80g mixed peel
- 1 apple cored & chopped 2 oranges, zest only
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon oil, for greasing the bowl
For the cross
- 75g plain flour
- 5 Tbsp water
For the glaze
- 3Tbsp apricot glaze
1. Bring the milk to the boil in a pot and then remove from the heat. Leave to cool until it reaches room temperature.
2. Mix the flour, sugar, salt, yeast, butter and egg together in a bowl, then slowly add the warmed milk until it forms a soft, sticky dough.
3. Add the sultanas, mixed peel, chopped apple, orange zest & cinnamon, then tip out of the bowl onto a lightly floured surface.
4. Knead the dough until smooth & elastic.
5. Put the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with oiled cling film & leave to rise for approximately one hour, or until doubled in size.
6. Divide the dough into 12 even pieces, roll each piece into a smooth ball on a lightly floured surface.
7. Arrange the buns on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, leaving enough space so that the buns just touch when they rise.
8. Set aside to prove for another hour.
For the cross:
1. Mix the flour with about five tablespoons of water in small bowl, adding the water one tablespoon at a time, so that you add just enough for a thick paste.
2. Spoon into a piping bag with a small nozzle. Pipe a line along each row of buns, then repeat in the other direction to create crosses.
3. Heat the oven to 220C
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes on the middle shelf of the oven, or until golden-brown.
5. Gently heat the apricot glaze to melt, While the glaze is still warm, brush over the top of the warm buns and leave to cool.
If you do not have apricot glaze use apricot jam gently heat the jam, then sieve to get rid of any chunks.