Winter = Soup Season!
Our delicious chicken and chickpea soup is a go to winter recipe. Serve with croutons or your favourite toasted bread, we think this recipe with be a favourite in your home like it is in ours!
Recipe makes 4 portions
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, add the onion, garlic and thyme and saute until it starts to slightly colour (8- 10 minutes). Then add the diced chicken and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain the chickpeas, rinse them and leave to drip dry in a sieve. Then add to the onion and chicken.
- Add the celery and bay leaves, and pour in enough hot water to submerge the contents of the pot by about 4cm. Bring to the boil. Skim off any white froth that rises to the surface using a slotted spoon. Lower the heat, add black pepper to taste, cover and cook until the chicken is flaking and falling apart (1¼-1½ hours).
- Add the lemon juice. Mix well, and then season to taste. Cover the pan and cook gently for 5-10 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Add the parsley, and then taste the soup. If it seems a little bland, add more lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve in heated bowls with garlic croutons or toasted ciabatta. Garnish with micro cress or snow pea tendrils.